2 level cups small Sandow apple pieces
1 tbsp melted butter (for coating the muffin tin)
115g / 0.5 cup unsalted butter
1 cup (200g) brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup (165 ml) milk
1 large egg
1 tsp white vinegar
2 cups (300g) wholewheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tbsp raw sugar (lg. granules)
1. Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
2. Brush a 12-hole, standard muffin tin with melted butter, or line with paper cases.
3. Place butter and brown sugar in a bowl, whisk to combine.
4. Add milk, then egg and vinegar. Whisk to combine.
5. Scatter flour across batter surface, followed by baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk 10 times until the flour is incorporated – some lumps are fine.
6. Stir in apple with minimum stirring just to disperse.
7. Scoop batter into muffin tin – I use an ice cream scoop – filling it all the way to the top.
8. Sprinkle with sugar (if using – makes surface slightly crispy), place muffins in the oven.
9. Immediately turn down to 180C/350F.
10. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
11. Rest in the muffin tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool.
12. Once fully cooled, store in an airtight container – it will stay moist for up to 5 days. These also freeze very well.
Would you able to change regular flour to Gluten free flour ?
We’re not sure but feel free to give it a try and let us know.