Organic old-fashioned homemade apple pie is made with organic ingredients, real butter, cinnamon, sugar and a homemade organic pie crust.
Cook Time: 45 MINUTES
2 1/2 cups all-purpose organic our plus extra for dusting
1 cup Spectrum organic vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 large organic egg, beaten
1/2 cup cold water
7-8 large Sandow Apples
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
5 tablespoons organic butter
3 tablespoons organic 2% milk
1. To make the dough for the pie crust, add our, shortening, and salt to a medium mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the ingredients together until dough becomes course.
2. In a small bowl, whisk egg and pour into the dough. Add the vinegar and water. Using your hands, knead the dough lightly until it forms a clumpy dough, (Do not overwork the dough or it will become stiff).
3. Divide dough into 2 equal parts, placing one piece of the dough in the center of a floured parchment paper. Cover and refrigerate remaining dough. (NOTE: This recipe makes one double crust pie. The photo below shows a double crust for 2 pies).
4. To form the pie shell, begin rolling dough outward in each direction until you achieve a 14-inch round crust. Lay a 9-inch pie plate face down on top of dough. Gently flip the parchment paper and pie plate over together, gently fitting crust into bottom and sides of the plate. Peel parchment paper away from the dough, lightly pressing dough down into the plate. Peel and slice apples 1/4-inch thick, filling pie crust 2-inches above crust sides.
5. In a small bowl, stir sugar and salt together, sprinkle over apples evenly and stir until apples are evenly coated. Pour apples into pie crust keeping the center higher than the sides. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over the top of sugar. Add 5 pats of butter to the top of the pie.
6. Remove another dough ball from refrigerator and repeat the rollout process. Gently lay top crust over pie, pinch sides together with a fork.
7. Using a sharp knife, trim dough that overhangs pie plate. Using your fingers, gently tap around the pie crusts edge to seal crusts together.
8. Using a pastry brush, gently brush milk over crust to create a golden finish when pie is baked.
9. Using a butterknife, cut slits into the top of the pie crust
10. Bake at 350° F. for 35-50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and apples are bubbling in pie plate. Remove from oven and brush a light coat of butter over entire top of pie crust while it is still warm.
11. Let pie rest for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy hot or cold with vanilla ice cream.