A good friend recently prepared this delicious dish (squash and chickpea curry) at one of our monthly family feasts and we want to share it with you. Given the abundant organic squash at our farm we know they deserve to be paired with the comfort of a warm curry on an autumn evening.. mmmm!
Squash and Chickpea Curry
1/3 c slivered almonds
2 tbsp oil
½ c chopped onion
2 cloves mince garlic
1½ minced fresh ginger
2 tbsp curry powder
6 c butternut squash diced
¼ tsp pepper
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 ½ c sodium reduce chicken broth
½ c raisins
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Toast almonds in a dry frying pan until they start to turn golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a tall saucepan; add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until the onion is softened. Stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the squash, pepper, and tomato paste until coated with the curry mixture.
- Add the broth and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the squash is tender and the sauce is slightly thickened. Stir once in a while during cooking.
- Stir in chickpeas and raisins and cook until heated through.
- Garnish each bowl with almonds and cilantro.